Decisions, decisions…..

Ugh, I’m having a hard time making up my mind with what I want to do. The hospital I work at offers courses throughout the year and they are offering the critical Care nursing program now. It would start April 21st, it’s 3 mos long and it would be all days with no nights. You are home for most of it, with independant learning. Anyway, the hard part is that I still am on maternity leave, and I’d have to go back to work early. 😦

I want to take the course, and it will be offered again, maybe the fall which would be great too. I have no idea if i should do it now or later at another time. Everyone that works ICU loves it. I would have a full-time spot in icu if i wanted it, the schedule is way better, with lots of opportunity to pick up overtime. I have no idea if i should wait till the fall (if they do infact have it again then) or just do it now~ I wish I could make up my mind, what would you do?


9 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Liz
    Feb 23, 2008 @ 18:31:37

    i think i’d go for it, even though it means ending your maternity leave early. i guess it sounds like the benefits outweigh the downers: a guaranteed full time job in an area you’d like to be in, better hours, OT if you want it? Sounds good to me….


  2. twinsRus
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 00:00:10

    Sounds like a nice deal for sure. U just need to weigh out the pros and cons. Whatever wil benefit u and your family is always the right choice. good luck …ttyl heather


  3. denise
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 00:41:44

    I would take it later. Nolan is your last so why go back to work early?


  4. my4kids
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 02:12:21

    Sounds like a big decision to make. personally I would take it later since nolan is still so little.


  5. Emma
    Feb 25, 2008 @ 01:19:26

    I’d wait. He’ll be older in the fall, it will be easier to focus on the program.


  6. Chas
    Feb 25, 2008 @ 15:05:20

    Since it’s offered again later in the year, I’d wait. You only have so much time with them when they’re babies. Of course, if you’re really feeling like you need to go back now, then of course you should go with your instincts.


  7. Erin
    Feb 25, 2008 @ 17:20:35

    That’s a tough one. I’d probably wait because I’d want to spend more time with my baby. Esp. since he’s your last and he’ll only be little once. πŸ™‚


  8. Carolyn
    Feb 25, 2008 @ 17:35:25

    OOooooh so tough. Do you know what the course load would be like? It’s so tempting to get it done now, especially if you don’t know if they’ll offer it again FOR SURE in the fall. The nursing shortage isn’t about to end anytime soon though. How many kids do you have at home to care for daily? I found my course fairly labor intensive but I could have scheduled myself better. CRAPS, it’s also the one and only and last time you’ll get to enjoy staying at home and being a Mom, but then you said you were going to have to go back early anyways. At least this way you could be paid to stay home and do the course…Gah! You have one tough decision to make. Obviously I’m no help and there is no clear winner here. Good luck πŸ™‚


  9. whimsicalchaos
    Feb 25, 2008 @ 23:44:44

    I would wait till this fall… but I would get into the ICU for sure hehehe…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: